Monday, March 30, 2015

My Personal Healthy Eating Plan

What Have I Got To Lose?

50 pounds, that's what!!! Yes, after losing 20 pounds, I still have 50 to go, but taking it one step at a time is my plan and enjoying the journey. Have you ever gave up some food or beverage for a month and then went to indulge one time to only find that it does not taste the same as imagined? I have done that and I go with it. One of those things is soda, I took a sip of soda after giving it up and it tasted so gross. One of the other things that I have found on my journey that refined sugar does not agree with me, it makes me feel extremely tired, and not the crash after the rev up, I mean it makes me tired if I eat it, so I try to stay away from refined sugars. My one big weakness, ice cream. 

My Plan: 

To eat 5-6 small meals per day that include lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains and lots of vegetables. To stay away from processed foods, refined sugar products, and very limited fruits for right now, those on the low glycemic index. I am a great water drinker and keep a 33oz refillable bottle of water with me at all times and drink at least three of these per day. 

Sampling of meals

Breakfast: Egg white with mushrooms and spinach, cooked with 1/2 tbsp of butter. 

Morning Snack: Apple with peanut butter

Lunch: Salad greens with grilled chicken, cucumbers, red bell pepper, olives and light balsamic dressing.

Afternoon Snack: Protein shake

Dinner: Salmon or chicken, and three servings of vegetables such as broccoli and/or spinach.

Night-time Snack (optional): I prefer to do the Medifast meals for this such as the Brownie, Chocolate Chip Bake, Gingerbread, or Pudding. These are highly nutritionally balanced and low calorie. 

I also put in my plan to exercise with at least 40 minutes of walking per day. This is a simple exercise and I can do more if I choose to do so. I also can go to the gym and work with weights. I hate to exercise, but have come to terms with the fact that I need to. I'm getting older and need to remain flexible and keep heart disease at bay. I use my 3 dogs for motivation as they love going on walks, so I will take one and alternate days so they each get some quality time. How can I say no to these adorable faces?




Of note, I do not drink a lot of caffeine or drink alcohol, I keep it to decaf coffee in the morning, occasional iced tea and an occasional glass of wine. 

In regards to my weakness with ice cream, I do not buy it and keep it in the house. If I want an ice cream, I make it a conscious decision and will go get a small soft serve cone, or one scoop from Baskin Robbins. 

Game Plan: 
It's more fun to lose weight and exercise with friends. Also, keeping 2 cute decorative glasses with beads in them, one representing your pounds to lose and the other pounds lost, and transfer the pounds from one cup to the other is a very visual tool. 


Feel free to share your healthy eating plan. I would love to hear it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment